presented by Northern Clay Center
LOCATION: Walker Library Courtyard (Hennepin and Lagoon Avenues)
OVERVIEW: Northern Clay Center proudly presents the 2011 Uptown Art Fair Family Imagination Station: Art Meets Life. Get in touch with your inner artist and create items that are part of your daily life. All ages and abilities are welcome to participate in these free activities.
- Create clay art under the theme of “Summer in the City.” From clay figures fit for your garden to the perfect cup for your favorite refreshing summer beverage, let your imagination and our teaching artists be your guide to a clay-infused weekend.
- Projects will be fired at Northern Clay Center (NCC) and available for pickup at NCC (2424 Franklin Ave. E., Minneapolis) after August 27, 2012.
- Watch potters turn wet lumps of clay into beautiful pots during ongoing potter’s wheel demonstrations.
- Find information about Northern Clay Center’s latest class offerings, exhibitions and other opportunities.
Friday, August 3: Urban Garden Paradise
- Noon – 3 p.m.—Ask your favorite kid (grand or otherwise) to tag along and make birdhouses, gnome abodes and troll lounges perfect for the garden.
- 3 – 6 p.m.—Create colorful clay tiles, wind chimes and vases for inside and out.
- 6 – 8:30 p.m.—Make fun and functional wares for the garden, including plant markers, fairies and flower/herb pots.
Saturday, August 4: Hot Sun, Ice-cold Fun
- 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.— Create a cup for your favorite summer beverages.
- 1 – 5 p.m.— Make the perfect bowl for your favorite flavor of ice cream.
- 5 – 8:30 p.m.—Keep your pets cool, too! Make a fancy water dish for your kitty, pooch or other small, furry pet.
Sunday, August 5: Love Your City and Your Planet
- 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.— Stop filling landfills with paper plates and Styrofoam cups! Create your own plates, bowls and mugs for everyday use.
- 1 – 4 p.m.— Make houses for birds or toads to keep the creatures happy in your yard.
- 4 – 6 p.m.—Who’s in your habitat? Honor the everyday animals in the city and make a clay bunny, squirrel, toad or bird.